Interview of Michel Ancel: the fans ask the questions!

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

spiraldoor
Mr Dark
Tings: 156595

Re: Interview of Michel Ancel: the fans ask the questions!

Post by spiraldoor »

Spanex wrote:Are you sure you know what I'm talking about, or do you mean the whole new 3D game is a joke?
I mean the Rabbids starring in the next Rayman game is a joke.

Spanex
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Spanex »

spiraldoor wrote:
Spanex wrote:Are you sure you know what I'm talking about, or do you mean the whole new 3D game is a joke?
I mean the Rabbids starring in the next Rayman game is a joke.
Yeah, then you didn't understand me. I didn't actually say I believed they would return, did I?

Oh, I get it. We meant the R4 prototype, not the next game. :lol:

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I would thank if someone translated the interview into English, I would read it. :o

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Post by spiraldoor »

I wonder if we can tempt prospective translators with Tings. Maybe one Ting for each word?

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka »

That's an interesting deal. :mryellow:

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

Omg, this looks interesting o.o can anyone go to the french forum and ask someone for this? XD

P.D: Ok, I'm watching the video... this show is kind of weird XD
That guy has a badoo account too. :lol: -Harpic fraîcheur

Sergaymonty~

Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 57630

Post by Droolie »

Alright, I'm doing this for the 1 ting per word deal:

INTRO
Ancel: Uhm... I have to tell you something: I'm absolutely not comfortable speaking in public, I -
Mr Bald: Oh but don't worry, there's no audience in our show.
Mr Serious: It's actually recorded.
Mr Bald: Yeah the audience is recorded, it's a fake one.
Ancel: Oh, that way. Then it'll be okay, because really... *sighs*
*camera turns to audience, audience clapping and cheering*

I'll LOL at your graves! ("J'irai loler sur vos tombes")
Announcer: We're receiving Michel Ancel, one of the masters of French videogames, the creator of Rayman, the Raving Rabbids, Beyond Good & Evil and much more!
[more uninteresting stuff about Mario 3D Land, etc] Here we go!

News
[this section is about Mario 3D Land and Modern Warfare 3 completely so I'll skip it]

[more translated stuff coming after my dinner]

Rulez
Robot
Tings: 2285

Post by Rulez »

Drolpiraat wrote:Alright, I'm doing this for the 1 ting per word deal:

INTRO
Ancel: Uhm... I have to tell you something: I'm absolutely not comfortable speaking in public, I -
Mr Bald: Oh but don't worry, there's no audience in our show.
Mr Serious: It's actually recorded.
Mr Bald: Yeah the audience is recorded, it's a fake one.
Ancel: Oh, that way. Then it'll be okay, because really... *sighs*
*camera turns to audience, audience clapping and cheering*

I'll LOL at your graves! ("J'irai loler sur vos tombes")
Announcer: We're receiving Michel Ancel, one of the masters of French videogames, the creator of Rayman, the Raving Rabbids, Beyond Good & Evil and much more!
[more uninteresting stuff about Mario 3D Land, etc] Here we go!

News
[this section is about Mario 3D Land and Modern Warfare 3 completely so I'll skip it]

[more translated stuff coming after my dinner]
That's exciting.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Post by spiraldoor »

110 Tings for you.

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka »

Keep going, Droolie. :mryellow: You're our translation slave now.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Post by spiraldoor »

Unless someone else translates the rest of the interview before him...

Droolie
Oumbr

Post by Droolie »

Sorry, was gone for a moment :)

[5:40 - INTERVIEW]
The audience of this week is not added in later on, nope! It's real, and here in Toulouse, it's the audience of TGS (not Tokyo Game Show obviously).
Mr Serious: As I said in the news section, we've had a great month for games - and one of the biggest games was Rayman Origins, so we invited him to our show. Michel Ancel, welcome.
Michel Ancel: Hello and thanks.
Mr Serious: Michel Ancel, creator of Rayman, the Raving Rabbids, Beyond Good & Evil, and so much more. Oh, and you also received the medal of a Knight in the Arts and Letters, at the same time as Frédéric Reynald et Shigeru Miyamoto... did the guy who gave you that understand your job?
Michel Ancel: Well yes, it was star-shaped, and there is a game where you collect stars...
Mr Bald: And it's the best game of the month, right? [reference to the news section of the show, he really liked Mario 3D Land]
Michel Ancel: And he gave it to me too, so he definitely knows that [gaming] world.

Mr Bald: Alright, so we'll already go back to the beginning of your career: What made you want to step into the videogame world?
Michel Ancel: Well they gave me the choice: I could become a doctor, an astronaut, ruler of the world... and ruler of the world was a bit complicated, but I kept that in the back of my mind. And sure enough, those jobs are nice, and lots of people practise them.
Mr Bald: What, ruler of the world?
Michel Ancel: A lot of people stand on their heads to get there...Well there's not much room there. You'd have to change planets.
And, the great thing is that in the videogame industry, there weren't much people. And only nice people! But it was terrible, there were no schools or anything for videogames, we had to go to game shops were we total geeks would gather and trade games, demos, etc.
Mr Bald: Games like what?
Michel Ancel: Like uh... yeah I played Barbarian for example, a game where you had to hit people on the head. It had those sounds like "YAK!", "OUCH!" etc, and we actually found that on the diskette. So we took a microphone and replaced it all with crazy noises, that was a lot of fun. So you see, we were already videogame creators.

Mr Bald: And Rayman? The character?
Michel Ancel: Well Rayman happened because when you make a game, you need a main character really quickly. You have to go through all the worlds you have made. The character that was the easiest to use was Rayman because he didn't even have arms or legs.
Mr Bald: Why?
Michel Ancel: You can draw him really quickly.
Mr Serious: Some people say Rayman originated from a drawing you made a long time ago, as a kid. Is it real or not?
Michel Ancel: Ah, that's the legend. In fact the legend is that you really never know who's right and who isn't - and even I don't know anything!
Nah, just kidding. It was indeed a little drawing I made, and I animated it by just moving the mouth behind the face - you know, like a marionette. And the character turned out to really come to life! It became the mascot that allowed me to take my first steps in the videogame industry on computers that don't exist anymore. *laughs*
Mr Bald: Nostalgia!

[9:30]
Mr Serious: And now you just released Rayman Origins, which is a real little gem - we have to say it at some time during the episode.
Mr Bald: I'm a real fan of platforming games.
Mr Serious: And to create this game, you wanted to work worked with a really small team.
Michel Ancel: Exactly, because Rayman 1 started when I was all alone, then a programmer joined me, then an artist, then a decorator, etc.
And with Rayman Origins, I wanted to have almost the same organization. So there were 5-6 of us and we quickly produced many levels and many characters. After some time, Ubisoft said "Wow, what you're doing is really good. Better than we thought!"
Mr Serious: That's... very nice of them. *laughs*
Michel Ancel: Yeah, well it's okay too. They said they wanted the game sooner than we'd planned. We were going to make episodes, but we had to speed up and make a full game. So lots of people joined our team - but it was nice as we kept the spirit from before.
Mr Serious: Is it because the creation process of the game went so well that you wanted to share the UbiArt Framework with others?
Michel Ancel: Yes, the idea is that you can create games with it in not so much time.
Mr Serious: That's rare, normally people who make games don't share their tools...
Michel Ancel: We're working out who would be interested now, and adapting our tools to that. But yes, we really want more craziness to come from everyone who uses the tools. We demonstrated what can be done with it with Rayman, and there's a lot more to be done with it. It's only the beginning.
Mr Bald: What a beautiful game. Damn.

[11:20]
Mr Bald: So anyway, how did you feel about the creation of the Raving Rabbids?
[to be continued...]

Man what a cliffhanger ending! I love cliffhangers. :P
Last edited by Droolie on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ikke471
Antitoon
Location: Who knows? Did you check your closet? I would If I were you...

Post by ikke471 »

Drolpiraat wrote:[to be continued...]

Man what a cliffhanger ending! I love cliffhangers. :P
dammit droolie!

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master »

Well, we owe him our gratitude for taking the time out to translate the interview so that we may learn of what it says.
So I say: Take all the time you need...even if cliffhanger's are one of the most evil things Humanity has ever produced.

spiraldoor
Mr Dark

Post by spiraldoor »

That’s another 840-ish Tings. I’m not counting ‘Mr’, ‘Ancel’ or ‘Serious’, as I greatly overestimated the number of words in the interview. :mefiant:

DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Femme
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

so has he answered any questions yet :?
also did any scrapped content about rayman 1 make it :wink:

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka »

Very nice. Will you translate the rest? :)

Droolie
Oumbr

Post by Droolie »

Haruka wrote:Very nice. Will you translate the rest? :)
Yep, when I'm back from university tomorrow I'll have some time to translate more of it. :)

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty »

great interview! I'm really waiting to read more soon! :mryellow: Indeed, it makes me want to have Ubiart Framework in my hands soon! :fou:
That guy has a badoo account too. :lol: -Harpic fraîcheur

Sergaymonty~

Droolie
Oumbr

Post by Droolie »

[11:20]
Mr Bald: So anyway, how did you feel about the creation of the Raving Rabbids?
Michel Ancel: *gulp* *in a quiet and serious tone* So... the Raving Rabbids...
Well, people ask me this question a lot. It's true that it all began with an idiocy [in French it's "crétinerie", so it's associated with "les lapins crétins"]. It's definitely not a marketing product or anything of the like. On a train between Montpellier and Paris (for a reunion), I drew a rabbit. We were in need of a new enemy quickly. Plus, a really big American magazine - Nintendo Power - wanted to cover the new Rayman... because, well... it was a Rayman game. So we were under a lot of pressure to come up with enemies super-quickly. We couldn't think clearly anymore, so we just took the first thing we came up with. And the first thing we could come up with as the super evil ruler of the world was a rabbit. And even though he was ruler of the world, he was very dumb and really evil. That's why he has those light blue eyes, he looks like he doesn't think of anything at all, his brain is just empty. And suddenly, he breaks because he doesn't understand a thing of what's going on.
Mr Bald: Can the audience do it?
Audience: BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Michel Ancel: If you ever move furniture and it doesn't work, you can scream like that! It does you good!
Mr Bald: But they were characters for Rayman 4.
Michel Ancel: That's right.
Mr Bald: But Rayman is in fact just a really awesome platform game, right? And what happened? And that Rayman 4, where is it?
Michel Ancel: *laughs* That's a lot of questions! You'll have to choose. The genius will just answer one!
So yes, we wanted to make a platforming game in 3D, and I was really happy about that. But then, we were told "No, there's a new Nintendo, look!". Because there's a really close relationship between Ubisoft and Nintendo. So, we received one of the prototypes of the Wii, that means Nintendo sent us their stuff before it was commercialized. It was a bunch of electronics but a really incredible - you'd say something Russian, like their satellites - and we were like "don't touch that button because you'll be electrocuted!" *laughs* You'd say it came from Gaston Lagaffe.
And everyone said "Whoa! It'll be super, it'll be genius!" Well no, they didn't talk like that. I was just translating. They actually said this: "それは素晴らしいものだ!" Oh and they were really small people, too. *lowers his chair so he's at the same height as Mr Bald who is really small as well*

[13:45]
Michel Ancel: So in the beginning, we were working on Playstation 2. Then, we had to port everything to this new console we had trouble understanding. That was the Wii. At first, the Wii stuff didn't really work and we were wondering why we had to do this. It was just like a gadget made by some crazy inventor like Nintendo. So first they sent us some stuff that didn't work yet, later they replaced it with something else because the first thing was missing batteries. *laughs*
So we wondered what games we would make with this, because it didn't fit classic adventure games at all. Completely different controls! So I said to myself: I have one week before the interviewer comes here. We stop with the platforming adventure game and we'll make it a party game instead. We have to use the new controller fully, not just port a game we'd made before on it. We have to invent a new game for the motion controls. So after one week, we were able to show Nintendo Power a completely different game.
Mr Bald: But didn't you lose levels by doing that?
Michel Ancel: Yeah we lost LOTS of stuff: some characters, some... well it's not lost, of course. It could... come back. *smiles*
Mr Bald: Yes, that was the question.
Michel Ancel: Sure! There's just been a separation between Rayman and the Rabbids. The rabbids went their own game in party games, Rayman will definitely be back in 3D and - *Stupid Mr Bald interrupts him when he's maybe about to give away more info*
Mr Bald: Rayman 3 on Gamecube was really excellent.
Michel Ancel: Yeah... thanks!
Mr Bald: The first week I was first in the Hall of Fame on the internet.
Michel Ancel: Ah, that's interesting! Very nice. *claps together with the audience*
Mr Bald: No, that's not what I wanted to say, but the idea of replaying the levels for getting bonuses in the score was really awesome.

[15:30]
Mr Serious: Michel, what is Rayman Origins for you, is it a tribute to 2D gaming or is it a reaction to the new "standard" of 3D gaming?
[More coming soon!]