Rayman 2 PC AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Granville
Obus à Pattes
Tings: 375

Rayman 2 PC AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Post by Granville »

I previously created a texture pack for the N64 version using AI upscaling. Now that the PC version supports high res texture loading, I have now created a new version of this pack compatible with that version too. This was created using ESRGAN with the Fatality MKII algorithm, which was pretrained for use with pixel art. It's the best method I found for the Rayman art style. This model is a newer version than the one used for the N64 pack, and the results are quite improved from there.

So without further ado, I present Version 1 of the pack-
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hzoz6 ... IOWNvvNkO8

To use this, you will need Rayman Control Panel by RayCarrot-
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=25761

Place the above textures.cnt file inside the Data directory where Rayman 2 is installed. It will overwrite a much smaller file, which you may want to make a backup of just in case.

Next, open Rayman Control Panel and make sure it finds your installed copy of Rayman 2 (you can do this manually if it doesn't). Once you see the "Installed" Rayman 2 thumbnail, click the drop down arrow to the right of the launch button and go to "Options". On the Configuration page, set resolution and such to whatever you like. But make sure the Graphics are set to DirectX. This is very important as glide does not work with this pack unfortunately. Next, click the Utilities tab above this page. Here you will need to apply the Remove Pirate Head DRM setting (i use GOG, if you're using the disc version you may also need to use the disc patch if it gives you the option). Lastly, click Synchronize Texture Info and let the process complete. Hit okay when that's done. You can now close the options and you should be able to play the game with the highres textures applied.

Note that if you have crashing or other glitches, you may need to install dgVoodoo and use it to increase the game's allocated VRAM. 256MB seems to work for me, though you can try increasing it more if you need. Also note that the game has framerate and speedup issues when using the DirectX setting, which unfortunately is currently required for this texture pack. I cannot do anything about this, it happens even without my texture pack.

I'd like to return to this project at some point and also create higher quality versions of the loading screens. This can be done. And will likely be easier in the future with the Raymap project and its free camera control. So consider this version 1 of the pack for now. I've been sitting on this for a few months now and wanted to share it here.

PluMGMK
Sandra Misu
Tings: 4280

Re: Rayman 2 PC AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Post by PluMGMK »

Yay, I've been waiting for something like this! :D I'll try it out asap.

deton24
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5741

Post by deton24 »

I've made some screenshots with vanilla vs tex comparisons and also with and without my Reshade (which I believe requires decreasing luminosity in game options when using tex mod, at least in some areas; it's due to how DX6 vs Glide looks in this game).
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sNXi5 ... sYGhbv_HUo

For all previous beta testers - download link in this topic is different, and content most likely changed. Previous is deleted.

If anybody want content of ubi.ini with dgVoodoo DX6 ddraw.dll set:

Code: Select all

[Rayman2]Choose = 1GLI_DllFile=GliDX6
GLI_Dll=DirectX6
GLI_Driver=display
GLI_Device=Direct3D HAL
GLI_Mode=1 - 1920 x 1080 x 16
GLI_DllFile=GliDX6
Language=English
Last edited by deton24 on Tue May 26, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

deton24
Dora Dodemer

Post by deton24 »

On my configuration, DXwrapper causes less 30 FPS drops, and the game runs in 60 FPS more often vs dgVoodoo. Yes, it's compatible with this tex mod.

Instruction and download:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Rayma ... een_fix.29

Be aware that it doesn't work with Reshade yet.
https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/issues/71

-------------------------------------

For fixing Polish fonts:

Rayman Control Panel>Utilities>CNT Explorer>Textures.cnt>textures_alphabet>Import
>Polish fonts download (if your custom textures.cnt has broken fonts):
https://yadi.sk/d/OAtU9MtTnhjLIw
>mark and choose extracted folder textures_alphabet>wait>close>
And optionally (in case of a crash)
Rayman 2>utilities>remove pirate head+synchronize
Last edited by deton24 on Tue May 26, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steo
Globox Origins
Tings: 127490

Post by Steo »

Nice! I need to try this our as soon as I can. :D
GLOBOX MOMENT!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687

deton24
Dora Dodemer

Post by deton24 »

Dege - the author of DgVoodoo repaired FPS issues with DX6/tex mod in Rayman 2 for us. Replace these files in Rayman 2\DLL folder:

https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=83792

Now the game should keep constant 60 FPS.

@down
"there's an option inside of RCP that runs the program as an administrator, that fixed the FPS dips when running the game through RCP"
Last edited by deton24 on Tue May 26, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Granville
Obus à Pattes
Tings: 375

Post by Granville »

The FPS fix didn't work for me...

EDIT- Scratch that, I think I fixed it. I had to launch the game directly, not through Rayman Control Panel. Dunno why this is necessary, perhaps Windows applies some compatibility settings when launched directly from the exe that are necessary for a proper framerate. I told RayCarrot about this, maybe he'll be able to do something about it. But for now, you can still set up the textures and other options via RCP. But just launch the game itself directly via the Rayman2.exe if you want a smooth 60fps.

Scratch all of that, do what deton said to do with the admin option and you should be good.

There are still issues with DX running the game too fast however, not sure if there's a fix for that yet.