Rayman Raving Rabbids

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

RayCarrot
Uglette
Tings: 29129

Re: Rayman Raving Rabbids

Post by RayCarrot »

Droolie and I exported most animations from the GBA version now and there are some interesting unused ones here. Sadly the palette is missing for the vast majority of them, so they got exported with palettes from other animations.

Early costumes
So it seems as if the costumes in the game were originally going to have completely different designs, inspired by Rayman 4:

This bigfoot one turned into the "Gangster" costume:

This bubblegum one turned into the "Punk" costume:

This one with just glasses turned into the "Grandmother" costume:

This one turned into the "Rocker" costume:

This one turned into the "Funky" costume:

So it seems the costume designs changed later in development to match what they were using for the final console versions, while their functionality remained the same as originally intended. This is probably why it's a bit odd how the grandmother costume is used for distraction/stealth now, since it was originally going to be the invisible costume etc.

Enemies

A Rabbid enemy:

Funny enough this one is actually placed outside of the level Infernal Escape:
RaymanRavingRabbidsGBAEU - 4 25.png
Some enemy from the Sweets world:

Some skull with wings:

Small lividstone:

Unused levels
There are 3 unused levels in the game, which can be accessed through a glitch in the game. Basically in the game the Mode7 levels (the 3D ones) are separate from the normal levels, but the normal levels are still indexed as if the Mode7 ones were there. Because of that there are 3 normal levels which never get used, but apparently still exist. They all appear exactly the same, but using different tilesets depending on the world (which all look completely wrong...). Now these could very well be leftovers from other games by the same developers (there are a ton of those in here...), but it could also be some test stage they use to test object.
RaymanRavingRabbidsGBAEU - 0 04.png
RaymanRavingRabbidsGBAEU - 2 12.png
RaymanRavingRabbidsGBAEU - 3 18.png
Misterfan2000
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5226

Post by Misterfan2000 »

Wow, I always thought the RRR GBA Costumes were a lot like the Phoenix Rayman 4 concepts, and I was not at all wrong!
hoodlumsworld
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3880

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Amazing, I never thought those costumes made it past the concept art stage! By the way, Ryemanni did some colouring on some of those animations to show what they could have looked like:
EkiRf_xXIAAbq4B.png
EkiRf_xXIAAbq4B.png (3.46 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Steo
Globox Origins
Tings: 226570

Post by Steo »

Those are some interesting discoveries. I knew RRR was originally supposed to be a different game, but I wasn't sure how much would have been left behind on GBA. I'd have expected that to be developed later and not have the same original concept.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
StelzenBomber
Mr Sax
Tings: 25582

Post by StelzenBomber »

Amazing finds!!

Are there perhaps any differences in the EU version compared to US, since it seems to fix major bugs
Aaron
Cool Rayman
Tings: 71363

Post by Aaron »

Great finds, guys! :D
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 569884

Post by Hunchman801 »

Great finds, as usual! I looked forward to finding out what you'd be able to extract from the game.

I mean, it's nothing new that a lot of stuff from Phoenix's Rayman 4 made it into RRR GBA, most notably some of the worlds, and even a scrapped enemy, but like hoodlumsworld said, it's amazing that those transformations made it past the concept art stage. And even more interesting that they eventually decided to replace them with the costumes from the console version of RRR, probably just to fit the Rabbid theme a bit more.

You mentioned that this fat rabbid enemy is actually present in one of the maps, is his behavior coded into the game, or is there nothing more than a bunch of sprites? I'm curious about the others, too. The small, hunchback livingstone is kinda creepy, and this flying enemy from the Sweets world somehow reminds me of the Glasps from Resident Evil: Revelations 2:
Yeah, it's probably just me.
Yeah, it's probably just me.
Now regarding this unused level you posted, it clearly looks like a test stage, given how basic the level design seems to be.
insert sig for RPC's 17th bday
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

StelzenBomber wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:13 pm Are there perhaps any differences in the EU version compared to US, since it seems to fix major bugs
Minor ones probably, but I think all graphics data is the same. At least the compressed data sizes match exactly. This is all from the EU version btw.
Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:51 pm You mentioned that this fat rabbid enemy is actually present in one of the maps, is his behavior coded into the game, or is there nothing more than a bunch of sprites?
I tried moving him up in the level and it seems to mostly work:
https://twitter.com/RayCarrot/status/13 ... 8384095232
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

RayCarrot wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:49 pm I tried moving him up in the level and it seems to mostly work:
https://twitter.com/RayCarrot/status/13 ... 8384095232
Awesome! What about those other enemies, too?
RayCarrot
Uglette

Post by RayCarrot »

That'd be a lot harder to check. Unlike most other games there's no simple type/graphics data index to set for each object. Instead each object basically has a function which handles it, using the object data in different ways.
StelzenBomber
Mr Sax
Tings: 25582

Post by StelzenBomber »

There was this one glitch i saw in a review where a throwable object was constantly moving zp and down from the screen so im thinking the eu version fixed it as they seemed to play the us release

And apearently one of the enemy rabbits death animations displays incorrectly, is that acurate?

Edit: also that one infamous glitch in one of the final levels that just kinda makes all graphics corrupt
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

RayCarrot wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:13 pm That'd be a lot harder to check. Unlike most other games there's no simple type/graphics data index to set for each object. Instead each object basically has a function which handles it, using the object data in different ways.
Nevermind then, it's pretty cool that you got that scrapped rabbid to (almost) work already. Now I'm thinking it may very will deserve its own wiki article.