The entire Rayman 2 engine got leaked!

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

hoodlumsworld
Barbara
Tings: 11000

The entire Rayman 2 engine got leaked!

Post by hoodlumsworld »

An early development environment for Rayman Raving Rabids on the Nintendo DS was leaked, and it contains the entire Rayman 2 engine.

I don't think I can share the files here but it was uploaded to archive.org as "Rayman 2 DS and Rayman Raving Rabids Source Code" (yeah, "Rabids" :lol:).

Source: https://twitter.com/RibShark/status/1489410008911593472

///DtN
Download of modified community version for modern systems:
https://cpa-editor.neocities.org/
Tool for converting from and to .MOD so 3D Max is no longer needed
https://github.com/Adsolution/CPATool
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 594419

Re: The entire Rayman 2 engine got leaked!

Post by Hunchman801 »

Oh, this is pretty great! So this is just the engine right, not the actual game?
hoodlumsworld
Barbara

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Just the engine, yes:
RibShark wrote:To clarify: this is the source code for the engine, with asset files for an early version of Rayman Raving Rabbids DS. To actually build Rayman 2 out of this, we would need to get the engine to load the compiled asset files from Rayman 2, or (ideally) decompile the asset files.
It does seem to contain a bunch assets and test rooms however, and even some stuff some Rayman 3. 🤯
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Neat, what kind of Rayman 3 stuff? Was it used for development?
Infomaniac95
Lums Rouge
Tings: 50

Post by Infomaniac95 »

I saw a couple of friends talking about this on Discord, and Twitter. I do not know what this will lead to (if anything at all), but this is still no doubt a neat thing to have come out, regardless.
hoodlumsworld
Barbara

Post by hoodlumsworld »

My favorite part so far is FPP_Rayman which contains... an Ugly with a gun. 🤯🤯🤯
ugly_with_gun.jpg
ugly_with_gun.jpg (81.55 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Pretty interesting indeed! What kind of a level is that?
PluMGMK
Olympia
Tings: 32010

Post by PluMGMK »

RibShark wrote:RAYMAN 2'S PROTECTION WAS NAMED CRAPFILE
FKt6kZ8WYAE8VOY.png
FKt6kZ8WYAE8VOY.png (387.53 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
:mwahaha:

So, the question that comes to mind is, was this an actual leak, or did someone break in and exfiltrate it (like happened with Half-Life 2)? Based on the age of the material in question, I'm guessing it's the former, and it's probably a reflection on the level of disgruntlement within Ubisoft these days…
TTK
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1965

Post by TTK »

How do you open the editor/use the engine
Elite Piranha
Rayman 3
Tings: 48175

Post by Elite Piranha »

Now I'm thinking about a corrupted and bigger version of an Ugly that is holding a big gun, as a boss fight in a Rayman fangame. Also, what is Mr. Burns doing in there? :mrgreen:
hoodlumsworld
Barbara

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:35 pm Pretty interesting indeed! What kind of a level is that?
I'm not sure, I would somebody could explain. DoomsMae/MaeDaGoof posted a video of FPP_Rayman on YouTube. Looks like there's also purple Podocrocks in it.

Apparently the files also contain unused animations of Lums (walking like Electoons) and Henchman 800s (with a plum on their head like Gorilla Pirates and also drilling):

https://twitter.com/RobinRayman/status/ ... 8740612100
I found these unused Rayman 2 animations in the recently surfaced files!

Looks like yellow lums were gonna be more like Rayman 1's antitoons, feet and all! 👀
And of Rayman's nose getting even bigger:

https://twitter.com/RobinRayman/status/ ... 0906651650
We all knew Rayman had a big nose, but THIS big???

(unused Rayman 2 sneezing animation... 🤧)
PluMGMK
Olympia

Post by PluMGMK »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:39 am
Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:35 pm Pretty interesting indeed! What kind of a level is that?
I'm not sure, I would somebody could explain. DoomsMae/MaeDaGoof posted a video of FPP_Rayman on YouTube. Looks like there's also purple Podocrocks in it.
Looks like some kind of bonus level, in the vein of 2D Madness… It seems to use the N64 icon beside the life and XP bars – could the cranks have been right all along? :fou:
hoodlumsworld wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:39 am Apparently the files also contain unused animations of Lums (walking like Electoons)
Hmm… Those don't really look like the collectible Lums we know and love. They must have had a somewhat different role I'd say…
Elite Piranha wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:37 am Also, what is Mr. Burns doing in there? :mrgreen:
Well, obviously whoever programmed this DRM saw it as representing cartoon-level greed / evil, hence the unprofessional naming too. Makes sense, given that we know how DRM-obsessed Ubi's management are – it's just good to know the programmers didn't necessarily agree with it in principle! :mrgreen:
dr_st
Ursula
Tings: 26848

Post by dr_st »

Nice! So is Rayman 2 Redemption on the way? :lol:
Rayman Saturn
Ptizêtre du Feu
Tings: 4300

Post by Rayman Saturn »

Very cool stuff! I wonder what could be achieved with it!
I’m starting to notice that way more things than usual related to the franchise are "leaking" online recently and it mostly seems to come from the mid 2000s period, so I wonder if that means anything... :paranormal:
PluMGMK wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:29 pm
RibShark wrote:RAYMAN 2'S PROTECTION WAS NAMED CRAPFILE
Image :mwahaha:
This has quite the meme potential and I love it. :noel:

dr_st wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:08 pm Nice! So is Rayman 2 Redemption on the way? :lol:
:hap:

Rayman 2 Redemption.png
Rayman 2 Redemption.png (26.99 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
Vive Rayman et les prunes !:angel:

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

It's time to Rock 'n' Run!
PluMGMK
Olympia

Post by PluMGMK »

Nevermind that, I want my Rayman 3 Redemption! :pascontent:

Yes, I know that nothing entitles me to someone spending time on making such a thing, and yes, I am joking!
gamerz31w
Moussu
Tings: 1245

Post by gamerz31w »

One of those enemies from Rayman Raving Rabidds Leaked Online Prototype lowpoly 2.5/3D In Rayman 3 were very greatful for Rayman after rescuing them those ancient,mythical magical unknown creatures. So why were they originally intended to become evil,bad enemies to Rayman?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

PluMGMK wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:27 pm Looks like some kind of bonus level, in the vein of 2D Madness… It seems to use the N64 icon beside the life and XP bars – could the cranks have been right all along? :fou:
Of course they were, everyone called them conspiracists but now the truth has emerged. :hap:

More seriously, let's see if more full-fledged levels come out of this, and if we can learn more about them. This level alone would probably deserve its own article on RayWiki, and there's most likely going to be a lot more to add in relation to this leak.
Rayman Saturn wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:56 pm Very cool stuff! I wonder what could be achieved with it!
Good question! Surely, fangames could be based off it if we get it to work, but people might be better off using modern game engines nowadays. I think it's mostly going to be useful in helping us understand the game better and discover unused content.
dr_st wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:08 pm Nice! So is Rayman 2 Redemption on the way? :lol:
Is it really 'Redemption' if it's the same engine as the original? :noel:
ItzalDrake
Henchman 800
Tings: 832

Post by ItzalDrake »

gamerz31w wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:05 pm One of those enemies from Rayman Raving Rabidds Leaked Online Prototype lowpoly 2.5/3D In Rayman 3 were very greatful for Rayman after rescuing them those ancient,mythical magical unknown creatures. So why were they originally intended to become evil,bad enemies to Rayman?
I am sure they are placeholders, same with 3 power-ups models for Rayman, they are reusing assets unlike the bird and rhino ones.
Attachments
RRRDS_proto_powerups.PNG
RRRDS_proto_powerups.PNG (575.73 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
RRRDS_proto_powerup.PNG
RRRDS_proto_powerup.PNG (121.24 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Elite Piranha
Rayman 3
Tings: 48175

Post by Elite Piranha »

Wtf is this? Some of these give me Tonic Trouble vibes. They look like something I would see in my dreams :mrgreen:.
Electoon
Barbara
Tings: 11900

Post by Electoon »

Image A gift from within the files! Image

It's probably not as interesting as some of the other finds on this thread, but using the source midis and soundfont provided with the source code, I've made a new, high quality rip of the N64 Rayman 2 soundtrack!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e9GgE8 ... sp=sharing

Some things worth noting - The game uses clever tricks (namely adding and subtracting instruments in game) to add more tracks and arguably make the soundtrack more dynamic and varied that it's CD soundtrack counterpart. This rip only contains the source midis with all instruments active, so it is noticeably shorter and less accurate to the flow of the game than the RayTunes rip, and is not intended to replace it. On the other hand, it is really crisp sounding!

There are also a couple of tracks (marked "Unused") which are never called on in game. While working on this project, I was comparing the tracks to a longplay video, and they never played in the sequences where they should appear. These include a part of the Ssssam waterski ride that quotes the main theme, the Psycho sting in the spider encounter, and an extended mix of The Fairy Glade. It's nothing too exciting, given they can be heard on the CD soundtrack, but it's nice to hear N64 renditions that weren't previously available on RayTunes. I also couldn't find track 129 (Victory) on the RayTunes rip, but I'm not sure if it used in game or not, given the N64 version has a lot of jingles like it. If anyone knows for sure, I'll update the rip to mark it appropriately.

If the link ever goes down, let me know, and I'll try and find an alternate host. I might not be able to keep it where it currently is forever due to storage space, but I'll try.

Enjoy! Image