Tonic Trouble (Retail) AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Garo
Incrediball
Tings: 390

Tonic Trouble (Retail) AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Post by Garo »

If you are looking for Tonic Trouble Special Edition, go here.

HUGE UPDATE!!! Introducing Version 2.0.0 of this texture pack! All textures that were previously remade were remade again at higher resolutions. The rest of the textures were upscaled again using Cupscale with the Fatality MK2 model. I hope you guys enjoy this new update!

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while now, and it's finally finished! I have AI upscaled every single texture in Tonic Trouble and even a few textures were remade from scratch (not by me though, I only AI upscaled them). So I am proud to say that I can finally release this HD texture pack to you guys!

Important Note: A few textures were not AI upscaled due to looking bad when AI upscaled or caused performance issues. These were only UI elements though. I specifically had to keep the textures in the Main Menu default resolution because there were frame rate issues if I didn't. The rest of the game runs fine at 60 FPS with HD textures so no need to worry. :D

Credits to XanderNT for remaking some of the textures. Credits to RayCarrot also, for updating Rayman Control Panel to be compatible with this texture pack. Finally, credits to icup321 for finding a lot of official high quality textures. These textures were used for better looking results in the final product. Not all the official high quality textures have been found but once they are, I'll be sure to update this texture pack. Special thanks to the Rayman Modding discord server. None of this would have been possible without you guys!

GitHub Page

Latest Version of Rayman Control Panel

How to setup: Assuming you already have the game setup to run on modern computers, download the latest release of the texture pack from the GitHub page and extract the "GAMEDATA" folder inside the .7z file to your game directory. The default path is "C:\UbiSoft\Ed". Keep in mind this will replace your original Textures.cnt file so make a backup of it if you want to. Now download the latest version of Rayman Control Panel in the link above and open the .exe file. Go to Utilities>Other and under "Synchronize Texture Info" select "Tonic Trouble (PC)." Now click "Synchronize" and select the "GAMEDATA" folder. Once it's done synchronizing click OK. And you're done! You can now play Tonic Trouble with HD textures, enjoy!

(Update: With newer versions of Rayman Control Panel you have to use a different method to sync your texture info. RCP should automatically detect that Tonic Trouble is installed on your PC, simply select it on the list and look for a button in the corner with some arrows on it. Click that and it should sync your texture info.)

Misc: Because of the HD textures the game has slightly longer loading times. To minimize loading times enable "Fast video memory access" under the DirectX tab in dgVoodoo.

Make sure your Details are set to the max in the Tonic Trouble video options so the game will look it's best. Also in "SetUpTT.exe" make sure your Texture Memory is set to the max for best performance. Keep your VRAM in dgVoodoo 256 MB though, cause any more can cause problems in Tonic Trouble.

If your game crashes on startup then reinstall the game and make sure you are using the latest version of Rayman Control Panel.

If you're interested in setting up widescreen for Tonic Trouble, go here.
Last edited by Garo on Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 24 times in total.
"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8637

Re: Tonic Trouble (Retail) AI Upscaled Texture Pack

Post by deton24 »

Garo, our hero, you've made it!
RayCarrot, XanderNT, you rock guys!
Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:21 pm I never got to play Tonic Trouble
It's been a long time. But if you still haven't played it, now you finally have a perfect occasion.

You can also use Tonic Trouble Launcher (Retail)

Ready binaries for 16:9, 16:10, 21:9, 32:9 and various resolutions based on AuToMaNiAk005 Widescreen Fix tutorial above:
https://yadi.sk/d/JnhMfKUvvvKICg
Last edited by deton24 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik

Post by deton24 »

Pinging Tonic Trouble gang from launcher topic.
PluMGMK wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:15 pm
closer1000 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:35 pm
aale09 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:09 pm
ElZboub wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:02 am
RayBlue wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:10 pm
Elite Piranha wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:47 pm
AdamSkelecoot wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:49 pm
Alltech wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:08 pm
Gordswitch wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 pm
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102645

Post by PluMGMK »

Dunno why I'm there. It's not like I own the game or anything :P
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

deton24 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:08 pm
Ready binaries for 16:9, 16:10, 21:9, 32:9 and various resolutions based on AuToMaNiAk005 Widescreen Fix tutorial above:
https://yadi.sk/d/JnhMfKUvvvKICg
I tried out those binaries and they have a weird bug in which SetUpTT.exe asks to be ran as administrator an infinite amount of times. Not sure why it happens but that's why I don't recommend those.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik

Post by deton24 »

Interesting.
Could you post your binary with specified resolution? I'd see what's the difference between both.

Desktop shortcut the game created refers to InstalTT.exe, so SetUpTT.exe doesn't have to be used every time but only when you want to change the configuration. So you would need to restore the binary only in case you want to run SetUpTT.exe if I remember correctly. These binaries still might be useful for some lazy people not befriended with HxD. There are so many resolutions corresponding to each binary there...

edit. It turned out that the binaries come from review 22.10.99 version, but might work with other retail versions, with everything I said above.
Last edited by deton24 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

Here's my binary btw. its 1920 x 1080 with a 16: 9 aspect ratio.
TonicTrouble.zip
(411.34 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Last edited by PluMGMK on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced external link with zipped attachment
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122645

Post by Elite Piranha »

Thanks for letting me know, btw is it possible to open the cnt file with RCP and extract especific textures (to make signatures or mods)?
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

Elite Piranha wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:33 am Thanks for letting me know, btw is it possible to open the cnt file with RCP and extract especific textures (to make signatures or mods)?
Yes absolutely! You should be able to extract textures from the .cnt file via RPC with no issues.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik

Post by deton24 »

These are different binaries, although they seem to come from the same version, as I found the same master strings and dates (if it's not somehow incorrect).
Here they differ in path, maybe that's why the error appears. Maybe one of these was patched out, so now it searches for ubi.ini elsewhere.
PXbfTmM.jpeg
PXbfTmM.jpeg (904.28 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
Last edited by PluMGMK on Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Please use attachments to upload images
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122645

Post by Elite Piranha »

Garo wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:41 am
Elite Piranha wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:33 am Thanks for letting me know, btw is it possible to open the cnt file with RCP and extract especific textures (to make signatures or mods)?
Yes absolutely! You should be able to extract textures from the .cnt file via RPC with no issues.
That's great, thanks for the contribution!
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

Important Update! The latest version of dgVoodoo (v2.79) causes many visual bugs in Tonic Trouble (Retail). If you are using dgVoodoo v2.78.2 or older then you should be fine.

Download dgVoodoo v2.78.2

I am unsure if any visual bugs happen in the Special Edition but it's a very likely possibility.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

deton24 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:55 pm Version 2.78 is the one included with compatibility patch from PCGaminiWIki if someone asks.
Would you mind reporting the issue with dgVoodoo here?
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... le#p866424
I'd do it myself, but it might be GPU dependent.
Does it also apply for SE version?
Alright I reported the issue to dgVoodoo. By the way if your wondering, these are the graphical issues I found with v2.79:

Dialogue boxes do not appear correctly and the background to them are gone completely:
dgVoodoo v2.78.2 (Correctly Displayed)
dgVoodoo v2.78.2 (Correctly Displayed)
old vodoo.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 5691 times
dgVoodoo v2.79 (Incorrectly Displayed)
dgVoodoo v2.79 (Incorrectly Displayed)
new vodoo.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 5691 times
Super Ed's model flickers in certain areas. Too lazy to get a screenshot of this lol.

As for Special Edition, I am not sure if there is even dialogue in that game as I never played it to full completion but I would assume that Super Ed's model would also flicker in that version but I'm not 100% sure.
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

Garo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:40 am Dialogue boxes do not appear correctly and the background to them are gone completely:
Actually not a bug, the dialogue background does not appear on old computers. The game itself must have a bug that caused it to not display which was incorrectly "fixed" by dgVoodoo.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

Important Update! dgVoodoo v2.79 has been updated today and now the background to dialogue boxes appear. This means that using the latest version of dgVoodoo shouldn't cause graphical issues to Tonic Trouble (Retail) anymore!

Download dgVoodoo v2.79

RibShark wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:50 am
Garo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:40 am Dialogue boxes do not appear correctly and the background to them are gone completely:
Actually not a bug, the dialogue background does not appear on old computers. The game itself must have a bug that caused it to not display which was incorrectly "fixed" by dgVoodoo.
Yeah at first when I saw that the background to the dialogue boxes was gone I though maybe it was like that on real hardware. I never could figure it out myself because there is no footage of the game being played on an old PC.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

Thank you to everyone who was interested in this AI upscaled texture pack! We have recently reached over 1,000 views on this post! I'm glad that all of you guys enjoyed the texture pack as much as I liked working on it! Thanks again for all the love and support.
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

HUGE UPDATE!!! Introducing Version 2.0.0 of this texture pack! All textures that were previously remade were remade again at higher resolutions. The rest of the textures were upscaled again using Cupscale with the Fatality MK2 model. I hope you guys enjoy this new update!

With this new update out some of you may be wondering why I decided to upscale these textures again instead of just leaving them as is. Well let me tell you why.

A got a new GPU a few months ago which has allowed be to take advantage of CUDA and use ESRGAN. The reason why I used waifu2x-caffe when I first released the texture pack was because it was really my only option. I was only using integrated graphics at the time and waifu2x-caffe supported upscaling via CPU and was really easy to use. So I worked with what I had and released this texture pack. Does that mean it was all waste of time because I have this new GPU now? Absolutely not! This project taught me a lot of useful skills and introduced me to a lot of cool people. I want this project to show that if you are determined enough to create something or make something happen, it can be achieved. For reference this is what the texture pack looked like when it was first tested:

Anyways, once I had my new GPU I was curious and decided to upscale one of the textures using ESRGAN with the Fatality MK2 model. The results were much better than waifu2x-caffe and I instantly decided to update the texture pack using this new model. Now apparently Granville, the creator of the Rayman 2 PC AI Upscaled Texture Pack said that he wanted to use a different model for Tonic Trouble, and I'm not really sure why. The Fatality MK2 model has provided the best results as far as I'm aware. Even the Fatal Pixels model blew out the colors of textures causing the shading to be messed up. So in all, this texture pack is probably in it's best state right now, unless someone decides to remake every single texture from scratch. The game has 6,910 textures in total so if anyone is daring enough then kudos to you my friend! I hope anyone reading this has an amazing day!
Last edited by Garo on Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15130

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to generate the textures on your GPU?
Garo
Incrediball

Post by Garo »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:43 pm Out of curiosity, how long did it take to generate the textures on your GPU?
A couple hours give or take. On my CPU it would've taken around 8 hours the upscale the textures. A good enough GPU will really make a difference.